Five Tips to Increase Your Team’s Productivity by 500%
Personal productivity is a hot topic these days. Everyone seems to have advice about how to get the most out of our days. We think a lot of that advice can be applied to get the most out of our work teams. Here are a few tips adapted to help you make your work team hum along.
- Set clear goals. Your team needs to be clear on what it wants to accomplish. Make sure everyone knows what the goals are. Make them achievable, and then…
- Figure out what’s most important. In nearly any situation, 20% of the labor will yield 80% of the results. If your team can focus hardest on the activities that will get you closest to your goal, you’ll get there a lot faster. Often these are the hardest activities and the ones people will want to postpone. Don’t.
- Plan your day. Every day. Set out what it is your team needs to accomplish. Make sure each member has his own daily goals and plan that he’s committed to accomplishing. It’s best to do all this at the end of the day before, so each team member arrives with a clear idea of what has to be done. Remember how the pygmy ate the elephant: one bite at a time.
- Single-task. Our daily lives are full of distractions—Twitter, Facebook, meetings without meaning. If you can cut down your team’s distractions, you’ll find they get a lot more done. You can also try chopping up the day into parts and working to complete particular activities during each day part. You’ll be surprised how fast things can go under a bit of time pressure.
- Focus, focus, focus. It’s human nature to get excited about new projects and let the older ones slide a little. But it’s tough to get things done that way. Don’t let new projects get in the way of older ones, if you can help it. As a boss, it’s your job to protect your team from new-projectitis. In the long run, you’ll get it all done—faster.